- 65g butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small Bramley apple
- 800g beetroot, trimmed and sliced (no need to peel)
- 1.5 litres chicken or veg stock, hot
- Soured cream or feta cheese and fresh dill sprigs, to serve
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based pan over a low heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and a splash of water, cover and sweat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft. Peel, core and slice the apple and add to the pan with the beetroot. Cover and sweat for a further 15 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, season and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, until the beetroot is tender. Cool slightly, then purée with a hand-held blender, or in batches in a food processor, until smooth. Season and set aside to cool until just warm.
- Divide the soup between bowls, season and top with dollops of soured cream or crumbled feta and fresh dill sprigs.