We all love a bit of festive cheer over the Christmas period, but what we never seem to remember is the hangover that goes with that "spirit"! The awful feeling we feel is basically being too "toxic" and our livers being over burdened to try and remove these toxins. As someone who has suffered with a less that productive liver i know all too well how it feels to have an overburdened liver! So what can we do to help our liver...
- Milk Thistle - this flowering herb is a key player when it comes to the health of the liver function. It support the liver and contains silymarin which boosts Glutathione (the master antioxidant). Silymarin is and anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant. I would be taking this every day as a supplement during the festive season!
- N-A-C (N-Acetyl-Cysteine) - an amino acid that increases glutathione which helps to break down alcohol in the liver - can be in supplement form or found in oats, dairy, garlic, onions and the ever favourite...you got it...Brussels sprouts!!! Maybe this is why they appear at Christmas time?????
- Artichoke - stimulates the flow of bile through the liver - the bile mops up all the nasty toxins and takes them to be excreted. This can be either in a supplemental form or the food variety. This is good pre and post a big night.
Alcohol also depletes a number of vitamins and minerals that are vital to alcohol detoxification - so we can end up in a vicious circle if we don't replenish these -
- Vitamin C - found in green leafy veggies, red peppers and fruits - but you need a lot! Supplements again have better dosages for immediate relief
- Magnesium - take a supplement before a big night out
- B Vitamins - again a Vitamin B Complex is advised to get the full spectrum required especially B12
- Electrolytes - coconut water is rich in these so make sure you have some stocked up!
So...with all those in your arsenal you should be right as rain in no time - but even better is WATER!!! Still water that is, as the fizzy kind can actually worsen the symptoms by speeding up the absorption of alcohol. Make sure you are drinking a glass for every glass of alcohol and this will help the liver too! Meaning you can go out and do it all again the next night!!! (NOTE: i do not condone drinking ;-) in large quantities at least)